The “Pran Pratishtha” ceremony on the Ram Mandir in Ayodhya, which occurred on January 22, 2024, holds nice significance because it symbolizes the decision of a centuries-old dispute. It introduced pleasure to tens of millions of individuals worldwide. People who’ve contributed or are meaning to contribute to the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Belief, the physique entrusted with the temple’s development, are eligible to say a deduction on their earnings tax u/s 80G of the Revenue Tax Act.
Recognition u/s 80G
The Central Authorities vide its Notification No. 24/2020/F. No. 176/8/2017/ITA-I dated eighth Could, 2020 formally acknowledged “SHRI RAM JANMABHOOMI TEERTH KSHETRA” to be a spot of historic significance and a spot of public worship of renown for the needs of Part 80G(2)(b) with impact from the FY 2020-21.
Who’s eligible to say a deduction for donations to the Shri Ram Belief?
Part 80G of the Revenue Tax Act of 1961 permits all sorts of taxpayers, corresponding to people, firms, corporations, LLPs, and others, to avail tax advantages by contributing funds to certified charitable establishments. This deduction is relevant to each resident and non-resident taxpayers.
How a lot deduction could be claimed?
Below Part 80G, funds to specified establishments appeal to a 100% or 50% deduction with none qualifying restrict. However generally, the deduction is restricted to a most qualifying restrict (which is 10% of your adjusted GTI). This proportion of deduction with or with out restriction will depend on the establishment and function.
Because the Central Authorities has notified the Shri Ram Belief for the needs of Part 80G(2)(b), the sums donated to the Belief for the renovation/restore of the temple are eligible for a 50% deduction. For instance, when you have donated ₹50,000, you’ll get a tax reduction of ₹ 25,000.
Additional, this 50% deduction shall be topic to the qualifying restrict. If the overall quantity donated to the Shri Ram Belief exceeds 10% of your adjusted gross whole earnings (GTI), any extra quantity past the ten% restrict is not going to be eligible for deduction. Suppose your adjusted GTI for a monetary yr is ₹10 lakhs, you may make a most tax-deductible donation of ₹1 lakh.
Is there a deadline for donating to the Shri Ram Belief and claiming a deduction?
The Shri Ram Belief has been notified beneath Part 80G(2)(b) from the monetary yr 2020-21 onwards. Thus, when you make a donation within the monetary yr 2020-21 or thereafter, you may get a deduction beneath Part 80G(2)(b) of the Revenue Tax Act, 1961. The ceremonial date for the Pran Pratishtha of Ram Lalla on the Ayodhya temple on January 22, 2024, is a particular occasion, nevertheless it doesn’t have an effect on the tax deduction. Any donation made throughout a yr could be claimed as a deduction whereas submitting the ITR for that yr. So, whether or not you donate earlier than or after January 22, you possibly can declare a deduction for the respective yr, topic to the achievement of different circumstances.
Factors to contemplate
Listed here are some factors to be taken care of for claiming the deduction in respect of quantities donated to the Shri Ram Belief:
- Donors ought to acquire the receipts of donations made. Obtain and retain the receipt as proof for claiming the deduction.
- Donations shouldn’t be in sort.
- Donations in extra of Rs 2,000 shouldn’t be in money.
- Donations needs to be particularly directed in the direction of the restore/renovation of the temple. Quantities contributed for every other function will not be eligible for deduction.
- Donors shouldn’t be choosing the brand new tax regime. If in case you have opted for the brand new tax regime, you aren’t entitled to say a deduction u/s 80G.
- For claiming the deduction, donors must fill out the data in “Schedule 80G” within the Revenue Tax Return.
Course of to say deduction
1. Safe a sound receipt of the Ram Mandir donation from the Shri Ram Belief. The receipt should include the identify of the donor, donation quantity, date, registration no. of the Shri Ram Belief, and so on.
2. Be certain that the donation falls inside the eligible class (i.e., for renovation/restore).
3. Choose the outdated tax regime whereas submitting your Revenue Tax Return.
4. Furnish particulars of the donation in Schedule 80G of your ITR kind.
Notification Hyperlink – https://incometaxindia.gov.in/communications/notification/notification_24_2020.pdf