If you happen to’re craving consolation meals, heat do-it-yourself rooster pot pie at all times hits the spot. This utterly from-scratch recipe contains a double buttery, flaky pie crust encasing tender rooster and greens in a wealthy and creamy sauce. Watch the video tutorial to see the way it comes collectively!
One reader, Amy, commented: “That is the brand new celebration meal, favourite meal, go-to meal & just-because meal in my home. Everybody loves this!! I make it precisely as written. The crust is famous and I’ve used it for all crust-requiring recipes. I’ve additionally handed this recipe to my mates, and equally glowing opinions from them. ★★★★★”
Initially printed in 2014, that is my very favourite rooster pot pie recipe. If you happen to haven’t tried it prior to now a number of years, I wager will probably be your new favourite, too!
The reader-loved recipe makes use of my do-it-yourself pie crust (it’s not only for Thanksgiving pies, in any case!) for a sturdy base on the underside and a golden, flaky cloak on high. In between the pie crust layers is a mix of rooster and veggies in a creamy, wealthy white gravy that is filled with taste. It goes with out saying that this double-crust rooster pot pie is the last word in consolation meals.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Rooster Pot Pie:
- Satisfying, comforting all-in-one meal
- 100% do-it-yourself
- Gravy-like sauce is wealthy, creamy, and so flavorful
- Double the buttery, flaky pie crust for double the deliciousness
- Customizable—use your favourite meats and greens
- An exquisite make-ahead recipe
One reader, Emily, commented: “That is SO extremely good. I adopted the recipe to the T (together with the pie crust recipe, which was my first time making pie crust ever) and it got here out completely good. As at all times, your directions are so clear and your recipe is ideal!… ★★★★★“
Begin by Making the Pie Dough
Earlier than you begin on the filling, have your pie crust ready, chilled, and able to go. I really like utilizing this do-it-yourself pie crust, a dough comprised of each butter AND shortening to yield the flakiest, most tender crust. It wants to sit back for at the very least 2 hours (and as much as 5 days) earlier than rolling out, so I at all times make it prematurely. You can additionally use this all butter pie crust if you happen to’d choose a shortening-free possibility.
Seize These Substances for the Pot Pie Filling:
- Rooster: The recipe requires raw boneless, skinless rooster breast, however you possibly can completely make this with rooster thighs as an alternative. You may as well use pre-cooked rooster—see recipe Notes.
- Carrots & Celery: You’ll begin by cooking these along with the rooster in a pot of boiling water, then drain.
- Butter, Onion, & Garlic: The fragrant taste base for a lot of sauces and soups, together with creamy rooster noodle soup.
- Flour: Flour thickens the sauce.
- Seasonings: We’re flavoring this pot pie filling with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Rooster Inventory/Broth: Be at liberty to make use of vegetable broth/inventory as an alternative.
- Half-and-half: That is the magic ingredient for a wealthy, creamy sauce that coats the meat and greens within the pot pie filling.
- Frozen Peas: Right here’s the place you possibly can combine issues up and add the greens you like most or just have readily available. I often use frozen peas. No must thaw or cook dinner them, simply add them straight into the pot pie. Add them on the finish—if you happen to cook dinner them with the opposite greens and rooster, they’ll lose their vibrant inexperienced colour and style just a little mushy.
These Step-by-Step Photographs Will Assist
Cook dinner the rooster, carrots, and celery in a pot of boiling water, then drain. (See recipe Notes if utilizing pre-cooked rooster.)
In a skillet or separate pan, cook dinner down the onion and garlic in butter. Whisk within the flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. (Main taste constructing is going on right here!)
After the flour soaks up the moisture from the cooked greens, add the broth and half-and-half. Let all the things simmer and thicken on the range, stirring sometimes, till the sauce is a thick, gravy-like consistency.
Roll out the primary half of pie dough right into a 12-inch circle, and match it into your pie dish.
Add the cooked rooster and veggies, adopted by the frozen peas, and pour/unfold the gravy on high.
Roll out the second half of pie dough right into a 12-inch circle, and lay it over the filling. Seal and crimp or flute the pie crust edges, then slice just a few small slits within the high crust, to permit steam to flee.
Don’t neglect the egg wash! The egg wash is what provides the crust its golden, glistening sheen. With out it, your pot pie will look just a little boring. To make it, merely whisk 1 egg with 1 Tablespoon of milk (I simply use a fork to whisk). You should utilize a pastry brush to brush the highest crust and edges.
Bake in a scorching oven (425°F (218°C)) till golden brown. The pot pie doesn’t take too lengthy, as a result of the filling is already cooked; you’re actually simply baking the pie crust and letting the filling components and flavors mingle collectively.
The sauce in rooster pot pie is often a gravy. I take advantage of a seasoned white gravy comprised of scratch with flavor-building components, rooster broth, and half-and-half.
I’ve a trick for this! I add the filling components together with the rooster and greens first, after which pour the gravy on high. You’re not pouring the gravy straight on the underside pie crust this fashion. The gravy seeps down slowly because the pot pie bakes, which provides the underside crust a while to crisp up. Moreover, I like to recommend utilizing a glass or metallic pie dish for the most effective crust. Pies cooked at such a excessive temperature can bake erratically in ceramic pie dishes.
Sure, completely. Skip including the underside pie dough to the pie dish and when the gravy is completed and comes off warmth, combine it with the rooster/carrot combination, after which spoon into ungreased pie dish. I like to recommend reducing the oven temperature to 375°F (191°C) as a result of there’s simply 1 crust to bake. Bake time is 35–40 minutes or till the highest of the crust is golden brown. See my turkey pot pie recipe directions—that recipe makes use of simply 1 high crust.
Rooster Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I really like utilizing my do-it-yourself pie crust recipe for at the moment’s rooster pot pie. Utilizing a mix of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made with out shortening, strive my all butter pie crust. Retailer-bought pie crust and even puff pastry additionally work!
- Meats: Turkey works splendidly as an alternative of rooster. If utilizing pre-cooked meat, you possibly can skip the boiling step, and cook dinner the carrots and celery with the butter and onion. See recipe Be aware.
- Greens: Attempt including corn while you add the peas. Be at liberty so as to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato; cook dinner till smooth with the onion. You may as well throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms or chopped zucchini—add them while you cook dinner the onion. I wouldn’t add ALL of those veggies, although, as there isn’t sufficient gravy for all of it. Stick with 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or much less. (Onion doesn’t depend.)
- Seasonings: Style and season this pot pie nevertheless you want! Attempt including contemporary chopped parsley, rosemary, or sage. So long as there’s thyme, salt, and pepper, the additional seasoning within the pot pie is as much as you.
Craving a biscuit variation? This biscuit vegetable pot pie isn’t your typical traditional pot pie recipe, nevertheless it’s faster and simpler.
This double crust rooster pot pie is ideal while you’re on the lookout for chilly climate consolation meals. Take a look at the step-by-step images above, in addition to my Notes on the finish of this recipe.
- The crust: Put together both pie crust recipe by step 5, together with chilling for at the very least 2 hours. I often make the crust the evening earlier than. The pie crust recipe makes 2 crusts and also you’ll be utilizing each crusts.
- In a big pot, mix rooster, carrots, and celery. Add sufficient water to cowl the rooster and greens, then place over medium-high warmth. Carry to a boil, then permit to boil for 10 minutes. Take away from warmth, drain, and put aside.
- In a big skillet over medium warmth, mix the butter, onions, and garlic. Stirring sometimes, cook dinner till the onions are translucent and the butter is frivolously browning. Whisk within the flour, salt, black pepper, thyme, rooster broth, and half-and-half. Cook dinner and whisk till no flour lumps stay, then simmer over medium-low warmth till thick. I simmer mine for 10 minutes. You need it to be a really thick gravy; simmer longer if essential. Style and add extra seasonings if you happen to choose. Generally I add extra thyme. Take away from warmth and put aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- After the pie dough has chilled: On a floured work floor, roll out one of many discs of chilled dough (maintain the opposite one within the fridge). Flip the dough a couple of quarter flip after each few rolls till you may have a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Rigorously place the dough right into a 9-inch pie dish that’s 1.5–2 inches deep. Tuck the dough in together with your fingers, ensuring it's easy. With a small sharp knife or kitchen shears, trim the additional overhang of dough and discard.
- Spoon the rooster and vegetable combination into the crust. Scatter the frozen peas on high. Pour/unfold the gravy evenly over high.
- Roll out second half of pie crust dough simply as you probably did the primary. Cowl the pie with the second crust and trim the additional overhang off the edges. Crimp the pie crust with a fork to seal the sides. With a small sharp knife, slice just a few small slits within the high crust to permit steam to flee. Utilizing a pastry brush, brush crust and edges with egg wash.
- Bake for 32–38 minutes or till the highest of the crust is golden brown. After 20 minutes of baking, remember to cowl the sides of the crust with aluminum foil or use a pie crust protect to forestall the sides from getting too brown. (See this publish on the most effective pie baking instruments for directions on easy methods to make a pie crust protect out of foil.)
- Take away from the oven and funky for at the very least 10 minutes earlier than serving. Makes superb leftovers—the filling is so thick on the subsequent day! Reheat as desired. Leftovers maintain effectively within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Filling and gravy will be ready 1 day prematurely, cowl and chill within the fridge. Assemble, fill, and bake the subsequent day as directed. The pie crust dough will be made forward of time and saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than utilizing. The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes effectively for as much as 2–3 months. Enable to thaw in a single day within the fridge and bake as directed (if unbaked); or (if baked earlier than frozen) bake, lined with foil, at 375°F (191°C), till warmed by.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Whisk | Rolling Pin | 9-inch Pie Dish | Pastry Brush | Pie Crust Protect
- Pie Crust: Two 9-inch refrigerated or frozen (after which thawed) store-bought pie crusts are simply high-quality as an alternative of do-it-yourself.
- Can I skip the underside pie crust? Sure, completely. Skip including the underside pie dough to the pie dish and when the gravy is completed and comes off warmth, combine it with the rooster/carrot combination, after which spoon into ungreased pie dish. I like to recommend reducing the oven temperature to 375°F (191°C) as a result of there's simply 1 crust to bake. Bake time is 35–40 minutes or till the highest of the crust is golden brown. See my turkey pot pie recipe directions if you happen to’d like.
- Can I take advantage of a puff pastry topping as an alternative? You should utilize thawed store-bought puff pastry as an alternative of a high pie crust (maintain the underside pie crust or skip it). Nonetheless, take into account that the underside of the dough (that touches the filling) often finally ends up tasting soggy.
- Can I take advantage of a biscuit topping as an alternative? Biscuits are an incredible various to pie crust for a pot pie. You'll be able to skip the underside pie crust and use the biscuit topping from this biscuit vegetable pot pie.
- Half-and-half: You should utilize half heavy cream and half complete milk as an alternative, or use all complete milk. I wouldn’t use lower-fat milks; the gravy might be too skinny.
- Filling Variations: It is a fantastic recipe when you have further meat or leftover veggies to make use of up. Turkey works splendidly as an alternative of rooster. You should utilize pre-cooked meat. Merely skip the boiling step and cook dinner the carrots and celery with the onion and butter. Attempt including some corn (frozen or contemporary) while you add the peas. Be at liberty so as to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato. Cook dinner the diced potato with the onion and butter, till fork-tender. Mushrooms or chopped zucchini are nice too; you possibly can add 1 cup sliced mushrooms while you cook dinner the onion and butter. I wouldn’t add ALL of those veggies, although, as there isn’t sufficient gravy for all of it. I don’t advocate utilizing greater than 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato. (Onion doesn’t depend!)
- Herbs: Be at liberty so as to add contemporary chopped parsley, rosemary, or sage; or strive including a pinch of celery seed. So long as there’s thyme, salt, and pepper, the additional seasoning within the pot pie is as much as you. Style and season how you want.
Key phrases: rooster pot pie