Searching for one of the best Las Vegas climbing gyms? Right here’s a information from an area climber.
It’s no secret we moved again to Las Vegas for the climbing. It’s top-of-the-line locations to reside when you climb outdoor. Purple Rock is a part of town, and inside a couple of hour’s drive, you’ll discover many extra climbing locations.
In the course of the warmth of summer season or when it rains at Purple Rock, all of the climbers migrate North, head to Charleston, or flock indoors. You’ll additionally see gyms get busier proper after the rain. Whether or not you’re climbing for the primary time, you solely like climbing indoors, otherwise you obtained rained out, right here’s a comparability of all of the climbing gyms in Las Vegas.
This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks, the place we obtain a small fee on gross sales of the merchandise which are linked at no further price to you. All opinions are at all times our personal. Learn our full disclosure for more information. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers that make Native Adventurer attainable.
Final Up to date: December 18, 2023
We’ve been to over 25 gyms everywhere in the US, and whereas some cities might have higher gyms usually, these scores are relative to the gyms inside the similar metropolis. Later, we’ll do a submit evaluating all of the gyms.
Alex Honnold talked about in a YouTube video that there aren’t any good climbing gyms in Las Vegas, however the longer I climb, the extra I understand individuals be a part of gyms for a lot of totally different causes, whether or not it’s a selected setting type, sure facilities, or group. Whereas different cities have huge company gyms with big budgets to construct gyms with the whole lot your coronary heart may need, you’ll be able to nonetheless discover an awesome climbing group right here.
Issues to Hold in Thoughts
- Climbing at Purple Rock? Verify Moist Rock Police to see if it’s dry. The signal says to attend 48 hours because it has final rained, however we’ve seen it take longer. A great rule of thumb is to dig an inch into the grime to see if it’s dry.
- Gyms will proceed to vary with workers turnover or updates, and it’s extra noticeable at smaller, impartial gyms than at giant, company ones. All of the gyms in Vegas besides the Pad are impartial, so anytime one thing modifications, you discover an enormous distinction, whether or not for higher or worse. Since 2019, we’ve modified gyms to the Refuge.
- One of the best gymnasium will rely on what you’re searching for. Fitness center climbing has developed and has grow to be its personal sport. I’ve observed my outside associates like gyms with plenty of ‘tensiony’ strikes that prepare them for the outside, however lots of our indoor-only climbing associates are searching for one thing totally totally different.
- Greater metropolis, higher gymnasium scene? Our associates who van life and journey to climb outdoor year-round have advised us that typically, climbing gyms have been worse at higher outside climbing locations, however that is also as a result of many are present in smaller communities.
The Greatest Rock Climbing Gyms in Las Vegas
6283 S Valley View Blvd Suite C, Las Vegas, NV 89118, map
Charges: $18 Day Passes | Memberships Beginning at $54.17/month
Setting Routine: Resets one part every week
Sorts of Climbing: Bouldering
Busiest Instances: Weekdays after work
Coaching Boards: Stress Board, Moon Board, Tread Wall, Campus Board
In the event you go to and see us round, say hello! The Refuge is presently our house gymnasium. Though the services are older, the setting is one of the best when you’re coaching for the outside, and it’s central to town. Most of our climber associates in Vegas climb right here now, and so they’ve grown into an awesome group. We love the roof characteristic and the top-out part that no different gyms in Vegas have for bouldering.
Room to Enhance: At 11,000 sq ft, the gymnasium is smaller, so when it’s busy, it feels crowded, however there are many instances to climb to keep away from crowds.
8201 W Charleston Blvd #150, Las Vegas, NV 89117, map
Charges: $17 Day Passes | Memberships Beginning at $55/month
Setting Routine: Units on Monday and Tuesday (Alternating from Boulders and Routes every week)
Sorts of Climbing: Prime Rope, Lead, and Bouldering
Variety of Issues Up: ~120 Boulder Issues and ~90 Routes
Busiest Instances: Tuesday to Thursday from 5-8 PM, Saturday Morning
Coaching Boards: Moon Board, Campus Board
In the event you’re primarily a sport or trad climber, Purple Rock Climbing Middle (or R2C2 to locals) is your best choice within the metropolis. Some routes are as much as 100ft lengthy.
That is the old-school gymnasium in Las Vegas and closest to Purple Rock. It has probably the most choices for sport climbers, with bouldering and coaching areas upstairs. We’ve additionally heard from associates who boulder right here that it’s very meh, and the gymnasium feels dingy. Once we lastly went to see for ourselves, we loved it greater than anticipated. They’ve a whole lot of nice wall options, and I can see why our associates who sport climb choose this gymnasium.
Room to Enhance: Trendy gyms have walkways that give higher site visitors stream. They might use a extra in depth maintain choice. Most of their holds are older.
7585 Industrial Manner J, Henderson, NV 89011, map
Charges: $23 Day Passes | Memberships Beginning at $66.67/month
Setting Routine: Resets Bouldering Twice a Week and Rope As soon as a Week
Sorts of Climbing: Bouldering, Prime Rope, Lead
Busiest Instances: Weekdays after work
Coaching Boards: Woods Board, Kilter Board, Tread Wall, Campus Board
They’ve the most recent and largest services in Vegas. It was our unique house gymnasium once we moved to Henderson. It’s the priciest gymnasium, however they don’t provide sufficient to compensate for the worth distinction. We suggest going right here when you want 24-hour entry.
I used to work as a setter right here, and I’m without end grateful to the earlier homeowners who taught me what I do know, however the whole lot modified with the brand new administration. We left the gymnasium in 2019, shortly in spite of everything my well being issues, and we determined to modify to the Refuge as soon as I recovered since most of our associates had converted.
We nonetheless hear horror tales about how administration has responded and handled staff and members, which doesn’t make us wish to return. As well as, our few remaining associates say there have been extra accidents due to the change in setting.
Map of the Greatest Climbing Gyms in Las Vegas
OTHER Rock Climbing Gyms in Las Vegas and Close by
Right here, we’re together with health services which have climbing partitions and areas to climb close by.
What to Pack – Climber’s Packing Checklist
First Timer’s What to Convey
You may hire footwear, chalk, and a harness if it’s your first time. All that you must carry is the next:
Rock Climbing Necessities for Indoor Climbing
For individuals who already rock climb, don’t neglect this stuff too! Verify this submit for our favourite of every.
- Climbing Footwear – we at all times say to purchase the footwear that suit your toes finest. I attempted each pair I may get my fingers on, and to this point, these have match me finest, and I’ve worn them for the previous 5 years. I’m pleased about their efficiency.
- Snug Climbing Footwear – when you climb loads and wish to save your rubber for if you’re projecting, purchase a second cheaper pair with thicker rubber. These are nice for warming up, or our outside associates name them their gymnasium footwear.
- Chalk Bag or Chalk Bucket
- Boulder Bag
- Harness (Sport + Prime Rope)
- Rope (Sport)
- GriGri Belay Gadget (Sport + Prime Rope)
Lastly, listed here are some miscellaneous gadgets you’ll be able to carry for warming up, coaching, and extra.
Extra About Our CLimbing Journey
- We sometimes climb within the intermediate V4-6 vary indoors and outdoor. Most climbers we’ve seen at gyms have been both newbie or intermediate climbers. In the event you’re climbing within the superior to professional vary, we assume you don’t must Google gyms and have already got a community of climbing associates telling you the place to climb (however who is aware of… we might be flawed).
- I used to route-set at our outdated gymnasium in Vegas, so I’ve a fundamental understanding of what the setting needs to be. Completely different gyms and setters give attention to various things when setting. Whether or not to coach sure strikes or for the aesthetic, the underside line is that it ought to at all times be enjoyable.
- We’ve climbed at over 25 gyms everywhere in the US and have a good suggestion of what cities have respectable climbing gyms. Most of those have been in main cities (ABQ, Atlanta, Austin, Bishop, Chattanooga, NY, Portland, San Diego, SF, Seattle, and Vegas).
- Since we’re not professional climbers, double-digit climbers, or TikTok well-known, individuals don’t give us particular remedy. As an Asian male, Jacob can get an excellent really feel of whether or not the gymnasium group is pleasant.
Some other partitions or mountaineering gyms in Las Vegas that we missed?
DID YOU ENJOY THIS POST? PIN IT FOR LATER
SEE MORE LAS VEGAS GUIDES
“Discovery consists not of searching for new lands however in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Native Adventurer, one of many prime 5 journey blogs within the US. They imagine that journey might be discovered close to and much and hope to encourage others to discover domestically. They discover a brand new metropolis in depth yearly and presently base themselves in Las Vegas.